Mar 13, 2007

Anthems !

This morning, NPR featured a small segment on the state of Colorado voting on a second (?) state song – a John Denver tune. That was news to me – I did not realize that states actually had official songs, especially ambiguous, trippy ones like "Rocky Mountain High". Here are my suggestions on state songs for places I have resided in:

North Carolina: The Rolling Stones, “Time Is on My Side” – Things don't exactly move quickly down there.
Massachusetts: Yes, “Roundabout” – what tourists are flummoxed by, also called rotaries
California: Pink Floyd, “Money” – seems to be the topmost item on most people's mind in the Bay Area
Alabama: The Moody Blues, “Nights in White Satin”— I would spell it Knights, and remember that the satin sheets have eye holes :-)
Georgia: R.E.M., “Losing My Religion” – Not !! They have Baptist churches on every street corner
Ohio: The Animals, “We Gotta Get Out of This Place”. – Sorry, but I felt that way and took off after 6 months..
New Jersey: Nirvana, “Smells like Teen Spirit” – Plenty of teen spirit along the chemical/industrial stretch of the NJ Turn pike.

and finally

West Bengal, India: Woody Guthrie, “This Land Is Your Land”. The State Govt. has moved on to the second line -- this land is MY land.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

AddMe.com, Search Engine Marketing